Monday, March 5, 2012

It is often mistaken that all travelling must be done in specific manner: Bags must be prepared in advance, and not a thing should be left out- especially the essentials to ready you for the change in living space and possible emergencies. If it is so, I was unaware. To say I came unprepared is a hyperbolic statement and I refuse to use it in regards to the magnificent specimen that is Mackenzie Willems. I arrived completely and utterly prepared for absolutely anything, which means pack specifically for nothing. Unlike most people, I see my travels not as an extended holiday or vacation; I take myself quite seriously as well as my plans for the future- anything less and I am unamused. Instead, I see this:

“Mackenzie Willems: Thrill-seeker on the loose, living on the edge of life but only for poetry’s sake! With expert mistake-making skills and fantastical optimism powers, she is nothing short of a travelers Hero.”

You can now see that there seems to be a common misunderstanding about my whereabouts; It is not exclusively about the country, but explicitly about me. How is such a bold statement left unnoticed? Could it really be that Mackenzie has gone under the radar and truly fooled her peers? What a costly thought! But rest assured, my journey is nearing its end and I am satisfied with my discoveries so far. I have jumped out of a plane 14,000 feet in the air, relaxed on some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and met some of the most sincere friends- what more could you ask for? Though these things were not on my seemingly endless checklist of “To-Do’s”, they happened and will forever remain in my memory. Experiences aside, what I’m really getting at is the importance of this journey (not holiday) in regards to my character, personality, and independence. I left the states because I needed to, it was not for pleasure or fun- but for the pure fact that I needed to be alone. I needed to submerge myself in a world separate from my family and friends, I needed to make mistakes and figure it out, I needed to do something right on my own so I knew it was really me that fixed something. I needed to hurt and feel lost and snap back without any help. I needed to be myself, without any outside influences and triggers.
I know now that I have been given an opportunity of a life time. Things like these feel magnificent, but aren’t a reality until you follow. I have a gift to change myself in situations people would never be able to see past, and under shattering conditions otherwise known as “not knowing what to do”. I drag my mangled soul out of the rubbish time and time again, so let us rejoice in a wholesome homecoming and, in some ways, a life-saving experiment on one’s self.  20 days left and standing strong: It is up to me to decide if this is a success story or pretext to a pitiful tumbling down, and up to you to judge for whatever reason you can’t avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment